Friday, April 24, 2015

Of Mice and Men (OMAM)

                Of Mice and Men  



Describe the atmosphere of the ranch and bunkhouse. Be sure to include characteristics of different characters that were formally or informally introduced to us in this chapter. Support your choice with textual evidence and interpretation.

Why doesn't Curley's wife have a name?   What message, if anything, is John Steinbeck  trying to send by not giving her a first name?  
Support your choice with textual evidence and interpretation.


        The atmosphere of the ranch and the Bunkhouse is welcoming but tense. I said welcoming because ever since George and Lennie got their they were welcomed really well. For Instance, Slim is a good friend to both of them and that is because they probably made a good first impression. I say that because Curley made a bad impression on George and Lennie, so now George say he hates his guts and doesn't like him. Then I sad tense because their is always people yelling and those people are George and Curley. They argue back and forth because they both have temper issues, you know what happens when you mix those kind of people, conflict. However it seems to me that Curley is beginning to like George but George hates him. "Ya know, Lennie, I'm scared I'm gonna tangle with that bastard myself. I hate his guts. Jesus Christ." That was just showing how much he truly hates Curley.

       I think Curley's wife does't have a name because she never actually said what her name was. What I mean by this is that all the characters were introduced with their names or nicknames, she wasn't. That happened because she was never introduced properly or no one knows her real name. Their can be many different possibilities but, these make the most sense to me.

      The message John Steinbeck was trying to give by not give Curley's wife a name was because of how women were treated back then. They didn't have they didn't have Women's Suffrage yet and it was difficult for women to actually be treated as an equal. In the book they call her terrible things like "Tramp.." and don't really care about her. The thing is Lennie really likes her and Curley hates Lennie because he is big and much stronger than him. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree on why you think Curley's wife doesn't have a name. Like you said in your blog, women were not treated very well back then. They probably don't respect her as much. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written blog. All that I can say was wrong was that you could have used more quotes other than that I really like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Blog! I also agree that Steinbeck doesn't give Curley's wife a name because of how women were treated back then. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete