Thursday, May 14, 2015

Of Mice and Men: The Movie

Analyze the ending of the book versus the ending of the movie 

What are your general thoughts, feelings, reactions of Of Mice and Men? What had the most profound impact on you or your understanding of the novella? Who would you recommend this book to and why? 

              What the flashback shows in the movie is that even though George shot Lennie he still did it out of love. That shows the whole mood of the movie and to let us know that George did the right choice. Also to remember how much he truly loved Lennie as much as he treated him badly he did it to keep Lennie safe. The way that this flashback changes the mood for the is really smart. They added that part to basically say we may have killed Lennie but we did it to make sure he didn't suffer.

              At the end of the book the feeling or mood was set in suspense and sadness. I say sadness because Lennie ends up dying and no one really care about it. Then I say suspense because it ends at a point that a new book might be able to start. The director chose that to end the movie to show some sort of twist in the audiences mind. If you end it the same way they wouldn't be able to see the different sides of how the characters reacted to Lennie's death. This makes the audience even more emotional if they read the book because they wouldn't actually be expected the ending of how lonely George was going to be and how other characters felt. The director did a great job also by allowing George and Lennie to have alone time at the whole end of the movie to express their true friendship.

              The line at the end of the book is "'Now what the hell ya suppose is eatin' them to guys?'" What this line tells us about the speaker is that he is trying to make a different mood and make it seem like no one cared that Lennie died except for George deep down. Also it leaves us in confusion and awe because we didn't know as an audience what the ending meant. That is why they made the movie to basically explain to us what the ending meant to us and it left us in sadness and happiness. 

               I really enjoyed this book overall and loved how it was set up. I really wasn't all that excited to read this book because I knew nothing about it at all and I never read a novella before. I was surprised with the outcome of my reading and how much enjoyment I had when it was over. I really got into this book and wanted to keep on reading. I would definitely recommend this book to other people with similar interests towards this book. The thing is in order for them to enjoy the book in my opinion is if you don't tell them anything about it and explain things. If you explain things to them they wouldn't want to keep reading to find out. What had the most profound impact on me was the love hate relationship between Lennie and George. It makes me connect a lot to this world and to myself. I say it connects to myself because that is how I am with my brother after all we've put each other through we still love each other. Then I say this connects to the world because almost everyone has this kind of relationship with someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment